Moffitt’s Department of Radiology provides all the diagnostic and interventional imaging services for the clinical programs. Our mission is to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer through excellent clinical imaging services, education and research. The department features a team of highly dedicated and skilled physicians, nurses, technologists and staff who specialize in imaging by utilizing the most advanced technology for screening, diagnosis, intervention and surveillance. Our world renowned specialists and researchers provide the highest possible expertise in cancer detection.
The department provides all modalities of imaging services for our patients to include:
- Digital X-ray
- Breast imaging (digital mammography, breast ultrasound and breast MRI) – Our Breast Imaging Department has attained ACR accreditation in all breast imaging modalities and has received the acclaimed ACR Breast Center of Excellence seal.
- Ultrasound (sonography)
- Computed tomography (CT)
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Nuclear imaging (radioisotope studies)
- Positron emission tomography (PET) and PET/CT
- Image-guided biopsies
- Both vascular and nonvascular interventional services
The Department of Radiology has converted to an integrated Picture Archiving, Communication and Storage (PACS) system that has essentially replaced standard X-ray films. At Moffitt Cancer Center, virtually all images are acquired in digital format, interpreted on electronic PACS workstations ("soft-copy" interpretation), filed and stored electronically, and distributed to clinicians by means of an in-house electronic network and the Internet. This technology provides greater efficiency, accuracy and satisfaction for our patients and clinicians.